Saturday 9 April 2016

The Jungle Book (Trailer)

I am seeing this in cinemas tomorrow and in an effort to save time writing later, I will attempt to list some issues now and see how accurate past Justin is.

My first thought after watching this trailer was nostalgic. 'Ahh' I thought, 'Now this brings back some good memories'. Which is good because this is ultimately what the folks over at Disney were aiming for. Well good for Disney at least. Nostalgia means sales, sales means money, and money means investment into the inevitable Lion King or Aladdin  live action remakes. I am, however, a firm believer in not fixing what is not broken and feel I might just grow tired of this one pretty quickly.

The second thought to cross my mind was 'wow, that is a lot of CGI and green screen'. Now the animated original is easily forgiven for not being realistic in imagery. It's animated and made in 1967, so fair enough it might be a little dated. Still it holds up pretty well in terms on animation, and the remastered re-release holds up even better. What concerns me is what percentage of this film will be entirely CGI animals fighting. While I have faith in the abilities in those genius' over at Disney, I also think that maybe they are biting off a bit much to chew. I worry nostalgia won't be enough to pull this one up into beyond half scores, purely based on immersive qualities.

The overall impression I have is one of concern, though also boyish hope. As much as I worry that this film will butcher the original plot and screenplay, I also have a little boy inside longing to sing along to 'Bear Necessities'. What will ruin this film is if they deviate too far from the original story, invent new antagonists in an effort to make it more interesting or prolong animal fight scenes to the point of obscurity. I guess you will find out on Saturday 16th when the full review goes live.


No comments:

Post a Comment